Tuesday 27 January 2015

September Sky by John A. Heldt



John Heldt produced some marvellous escapist reading in his Northwest Passage Series of books and this new series, American Journey, beginning with September Sky promises more.

With a convincing collection of eclectic characters; heroic and dodgy, good and evil, September Sky does not fail to absorb the reader in its tale of time travel to Texas in 1900 at the time of the disastrous Galveston hurricane.

Until I discovered John Heldt’s books I was not a fan of reading time travel novels but his stories are enthralling, believable and historically sound.  September Sky is not any different. It grips the reader from the start and never fails at being totally engrossing.

I know few authors who can effectively and believably combine murder mystery, romance, history, natural disaster (and the associated aftermath and grief) and family relationships all interlinked in a gripping plot.

September Sky is a brilliant combination that fulfils my love of history and a good mystery novel.

I must give John Heldt a highly commended for his history research. His list of books and people in the acknowledgement at the back of the book are an indication of the depth of his research. I knew nothing of the Galveston hurricane but September Sky had me looking it up on the internet. I have been entertained and educated in one story!

I would love to see Heldt’s books in print so I can have them in my library alongside my two other favourite writers, Agatha Christie and Dennis Wheatley.

Write faster John, I can’t wait for the next one.

My rating 5* (wish I could give 10/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment